Sunshine Sadie Mae

Friday, December 12, 2008

December







In December it seems like a switch turned on new parts of my brain. My music box in my crib I've had since I was born would come on if I kicked it, but I really didn't know how it worked. I discovered the little blue birdie was the on off button and now I sit in my crib and turn it on, then off, on then off, just to see it work. I'm becoming a little more obsessive. At bedtime I have this routine; I sit in my crib put my blanky with my binky attached between my legs and cross my ankles, then I gather my pink snake-like pillow up in a U-shape around me and then my blankets. In the mornings I wake up slowly, lie in my crib awhile, chill'n, and when I'm ready for mom to get me up I stand up in my crib and yell "Luh-Luh". She comes to get me, I reached down and with care push the birdie button to turn off my music box and then reach to get out. Luh-luh is still pretty much my standard form of communication, just spoken with different pitches, etc. I can sign a few signs (well more than a few, but don't tell mom. I don't like to use them in front of her or anyone). Besides luh-luh... my other run of words still is Sadie-doit said very fast or Sadie-didit.

I've learned I can resist bedtime and pitch a fit. They say this is a good sign. Mom doesn't think it's all that amazing.

Around News Years I braved it and went down the stairs, alone, on my bottom without mom knowing. When she found me at the bottom of the stairs, knocking on the front door, yacking up a storm all excitedly and laughing, she was amazed. Now I go downstairs often, tipping over the trash can, getting into the laundry and opening cupboards and drawers and emptying everything. Mom's had to do some adjusting to keep me out of trouble as of late. ha..ha.. I just can't stand to see things on a table, cupboard, in a box or basket. I like everything spread out on the floor and all tables cleared of everything. If it's in my way.. it gets dumped out or swiped off the table.

I can now hold a cookie in my hand and take bits of it instead of taking one bit, drop or toss it, when I WANT TO. I still throw my cup, but mom is very persistent in trying to teach me how to just set it back down on the tray. My OT came this month early. He's ready to give up on me, said he thinks he is wasting his time with me. Ha..ha..ha.. that's what I want him to think, but I don't want others to see me progress until I have it perfected. He hinted at autism, but my other workers don't think see it and neither does my mom. He's just frustrated with me because I'm very very stubborn. I still can't use a fork or spoon, and still eat monkey style from the palm of my hand. I can use a crayon, but I still have the tossing reaction to anything in my hands. *shrug* I'm a work in progress! Slow, but I'll get there and in my own due time!

I had early interventions evaluations this month as well, and developmentally I'm between 15-18 months of age. I've watched my nieces all pass me up progressively, but they don't seem to mind. I learn much by watching them. I'm an observer. I watch, study people and then I try things on my own when no one is watching. I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

I am making progress. Mom has noticed that I'm finally taking an interest in how things work. She even caught me playing with a doll. OH! and I found a comb on the floor and have been trying to comb my own hair. Tiny steps..to other children all this little things seem to come so naturally, but I have to really work hard to figure things out. Every tiny accomplishment for others ..is a major accomplishment for me.

No comments: